9.12.2011

INVALUABLE Birthday Gift....

Sooooo, to conclude my birthday celebration, there was one more important gift that I had to receive.. Remember in my earlier post here where I spoke of the importance of a regular pap smear, well it was time... I had to wait over a month for my appointment, but the time had come..
This year, I have been having the strangest of thoughts ..







 Not sure whether age has a part to do with it or perhaps just being in a different place... A little more centered... Perhaps it's is fear of going back to a time that seemed hopeless and without purpose... Perhaps it's the extra little gray hairs I had been seeing every morning when I wake up on my husband's beard and the crow's feet which appear when I give my biggest smile ever.....



perhaps it's the time I spent with my mom during the Summer vacation where I saw her stride begin to slow down... the fact that I had to order size 14 pants for my 8 year old... Perhaps all of the above ... and more...







I was so nervous... but why? I have done this before? This time was different.. This time it was more important than any other because for the first time since the birth of my first son, I am functioning and making decisions not under fear but under rational, because besides my kids, husband and mother, we have no family who could make those decisions for me.. I have always thought of the inevitable, but now it was time to act on it...


It's time to lift those puppies up!!!!




10 business days later, the results are in.... My phone rings.... Never a good sign.. Did they detect something? It was a totally unrelated call.. They wanted to know the quality of my visit.. Just as the nurse was about to hang up, I asked whether the results were in, and in a nonchalant voice she said " Oh yes, everything is good"... No cancer, no abnormalities.... Now I can proceed with my life.. but what exactly did they test for? I have always wanted to know... Funny enough, because of my age, they tested for more things than they typically have done in the past... I received a bill in the mail for the tests that were not covered by our insurance and luckily for me, it gave the breakdown..

Here is the Fascinating list.

Candida albicans fluconazole
Candida glabrata
Candida parapsilosis
Candida tropicalis
CAndida albicans
Prevotella Species
Ureaplasma Urealyticum
Neisseria Gonorrhoeae
Megashpaera species
Bacterial Vaginosis
Atopobium vaginae
Gardnerella vaginalis
Mycoplasma hominis
Mycoplasma genitalium
Mobiluncus  mulieris
Trichomonas vaginalis
Clamydia trachomatis

..Goodness ME!!!.... They checked to see whether I had Transformers, Dinosaurs, Continents and Alcohol in there... hehehehe....Thankfully everything came out clear.. I was also encouraged to get a mammogram soon.. Not looking forward to it whatsoever, but I am just happy there isn't this 40 year age target.. I think doctors are realizing more and more that cancer does not have a specific age when it attacks.


                                    LADIES!!!!!!   Please get your yearly PAP SMEAR!!!!!



No comments: